Monday, May 4, 2015

Writing and Being a Parent: Part of the Writer Mama #Bloghop

Hello, everyone! As part of my Twitter friend and fellow CQ author, Sharon Bayliss's Writer Mama Bloghop, I am writing a post about being both a writer and a parent. For those who don't know, I have a five-year-old son named Max and I'll be giving birth to another boy around the end of this month. Part of the prompt had some questions to spark ideas, so I just decided to answer the questions in order. Here we go!
  • How do you make time to write?
I get up and write before my husband and son are awake. Usually this means getting up at about 5:30am or so. It may sound terrible to some people, but I have always been a morning person. Usually - with the help of coffee - my mind is bright and alive in the morning; whereas at night, my mind is a useless pile of mush. I also grab some time here or there during my son's naps, and over the summers (when my husband is working and I'm not) I'll sometimes have babysitters come over to watch my son and then I'll go to my local coffee shop and write there for a few hours.
  • How does your spouse feel about your writing?
My husband is incredibly supportive and one of the first people who encouraged me to follow my dream and write. I've read about some authors whose spouses read and edit their work, but that is NOT how things work with us - it would make us both miserable. He supports me with encouragement and by helping me find the time to do it, and that is exactly what I want and need.
  • What are the common questions or comments you get about being a writing mom?
Most people say things like, "I don't know how you find the time!" and I usually respond with the truth about what it takes: dedication and sacrifices.
  • Where is the strangest place or circumstance where you've found time to get some writing done?
I've written in a notebook while taking my son to the public pool, made notes on napkins at fast food places, and speak-texted into my phone while driving to and from work.
  • How much time a week do you spend writing? How quickly do you write books?
Every week is different, and I definitely go through phases that are much more productive than others, but it's taken me about six to nine months to write each of my four books. My most recent two (the one being published, THE HEARTLESS CITY, and its sequel, THE HYPNOTIC CITY) took longer because they're historical fiction and required additional research.
  • What impact (if any) do you hope to have on your children by being an author? Would you want your children to follow in your footsteps?
I just hope it encourages my sons to follow their dreams, whatever they may be. Being a writer requires so much work and brings so much rejection; I want them to see that I kept on trying even when it got hard and do the same with whatever their dreams are.
  • How old will your children have to be before you let them read your books (if ever)?
My books are all YA, but I would feel comfortable letting my sons read them in 5th or 6th grade I suppose. Now, whether or not they would WANT to read them is probably another story... :)
  • What tips or words of wisdom do you have to share?
If you think that having kids will make it impossible for you to be a writer, you are wrong. I didn't start writing novels until after my first child was born. Since then I've written four books, gotten an agent, and a book deal. Trust me, if I can do it, you can.



11 comments:

  1. Nice that you are a morning person. I make the time after the boy goes to bed at night. I hope my son sees me striving for my dreams and wants to follow his too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how being a morning/evening person makes a difference, isn't it?! I can't write for CRAP at night, and I admire those who can. :)

      Delete
  2. Brave of you to wake up so early! I'm not a morning person, but I write my best stuff in the morning. It's a conundrum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your upcoming delivery!! My husband is the same way, very supportive but not involved in my writing at all. That's just not our thing. He tries to read my books after they're published, but that's as far as it goes. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having the bloghop! I was fun! And good to know there are other couples like us as well. :)

      Delete
  4. P.S. Yes, getting up at 5:30am sounds terrible. I say that anything before 6am is technically not morning. You're getting up so early, you're actually a night person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi from another nighttime-brain-mush writer! *waves* But I'm not a morning person either. Hmm...

    Congrats on your book deal with CQ! It sounds like an awesome read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I actually write more as a mom than I did pre-kids. I am forced to be focused during the short amounts of time I can get rather than wasting whole days or waiting for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Having less time actually makes me much better at time management!!!

      Delete